Avast is one of the most popular antiviruses on the market. However, there are times when you need to completely uninstall and remove it from your computer. Maybe you’re experiencing issues with Avast and need to start fresh, or maybe you’re selling your computer and want to make sure the new owner doesn’t have any leftover files from you.
Whatever the reason, uninstalling Avast can be a little tricky. Here’s how to do it.
Steps to Completely Remove Avast Antivirus
Step 1 – Uninstall Avast from Control Panel
This is the strait-forward and easy method to remove Avast or any other program from Windows 10.
- Type “Control Panel” into the Windows 10 search bar and click on the Control Panel icon that appears.
- Click on “Uninstall a program” under the Program heading.
- Right-click on the Avast application and click “Uninstall.”
- Follow the prompts to uninstall Avast from your computer.
- Restart Your Pc/laptop
Step 2 – Use Avast Utility Program
The antivirus company offers an uninstallation utility that can be used to remove their software (s) from your computer. Download and run the Avast Uninstall Utility.
- Open the Avast Utility and you will be asked to restart Windows 10 in the safe mode.
- Select any Avast products you want to remove and click “Uninstall.”
- Follow the onscreen instructions.
- Restart your computer or laptop.
Continue with the instructions below to ensure that there is no sign of Avast Antivirus on your computer.
Step 3 – Remove Avast from the AppData folder
To totally remove Avast, make sure there are no files left behind. To do this:
- Open File Explorer and go to “C:\Users\ \AppData.”
- Find the Avast Antivirus Folder. If you don’t see it, make sure you have the option to “Show hidden files, folders, and drives” enabled.
- Click on the “View” tab at the top of File Explorer and select “Options.”
- Click on the “View” tab in the Folder Options window and check the box next to “Show hidden files, folders, and drives.” Click “OK.”
- Now that you can see hidden files, find the Avast folder. Right-click on it and select “Delete.”
- Restart your computer.
Step 4: Delete Avast from the Registry
If you’re still seeing Avast on your computer, it’s likely because there are leftover files in the registry. To remove them:
- Click on the Start menu and type “Regedit” into the search bar. Press Enter.
- In the Registry Editor, go to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Avast Software.
- Right-click on the “Avast Software” folder and select “Delete.”
- Exit the Registry Editor and restart your computer.
You should now be able to use your computer without any trace of Avast Antivirus! If you’re still having trouble, you can always reach out to Avast’s customer support for help.
Step 5: Use a software installer
This is the last resort method and should only be used if you’re still having trouble removing Avast from your computer.
There are many software uninstallers on the market, but we recommend IObit Uninstaller. It’s a free program that does a great job of removing leftover files.
- Download and install IObit Uninstaller.
- Open the program and find Avast in the list of installed programs.
- Click on “Uninstall” and follow the prompts to remove Avast from your computer.
- Restart your computer.
You’ve now successfully uninstalled Avast from Windows 10!
Now, you can try other antivirus programs to see which one works best for you. We recommend Bitdefender or Malwarebytes.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Uninstalling Avast from Windows 10 can be a difficult task, but it can be easily done if you follow the right method. We recommend using the Control Panel to remove the program. You can also use the Avast Uninstall Utility or a software uninstaller like IObit Uninstaller. If you’re still having trouble, you can always reach out to Avast’s customer support for help.
Have you ever had trouble uninstalling Avast from your computer? Let us know in the comments below!